Ways to Save Money on Weddings
One of the most common questions that Budget A Wedding receives are from readers asking for general “ways to save money on weddings”. There are many ways to save money on weddings! Here are a few:
Ways to save money on weddings – Organization
Organization will help you keep your sanity and is one of the easier ways to save money on weddings.
- Subscribe to a bridal magazine. Subscribe to Budget A Wedding or follow Budget a Wedding on twitter and I will always let you know when a good subscription price is available ($5 or less per year). There is usually at least one per month. The magazines will give you inspiration and DIY tips to incorporate into your own wedding along with their own ideas of ways to save money on weddings!
- Get a good planner. If you are a DIY kind of person then get a wedding binder and do it yourself. If you are the type of person who needs a little help along the way then pay for a professional wedding planner. Their professional and “behind the scenes” insight on ways to save money on weddings will help you save a decent amount of money.
- Create a budget and stick to it! Upgrades are common. Figure out your wedding budget in the beginning so you know what you are working with and you are less likely to continue to add “little” things. This might not be included in the ways to save money on weddings, but it is definitely a way to stop from spending!
- Figure out your wedding assets. Your wedding assets are all the things that are unique to your situation. This can be one of the best ways to save money on weddings. Do you have an Aunt who makes beautiful flower arrangements or a sister who does hair and makeup? All of those things add up. Make sure you sit down and make a list before things get too hectic to ask for their help.
Ways to save money on weddings – Wedding Attire
This is one of my favorite ways to save money on weddings! I love showing brides that they can have the dress (and look for their attendants) that they want without spending a fortune.
- Purchase your bridal gown online. Use a reputable bridal salon while you do it! My post on cheap designer wedding gowns explains how you can get a designer gown for 30-70% off from R.K. Bridal (a brick and mortar store in New York).
- Use Amazon for the wedding party dresses. Buying from Amazon is one of the practical ways to save money on weddings. Amazon has repeated sales on formal wear. They sell all colors, sizes, and styles. If you do not like it their return policy is excellent. I have found some wonderful dresses for less than $20 (some with a retail price of more than ten times that)
- Give your bridesmaid an accessory. If you give your bridesmaids a piece of jewelry or an accessory that they need for their attendants gift then you are saving them from having to purchase it.
Ways to save money on weddings – the Wedding Reception
The reception makes up 50% of the wedding budget so there are many ways to save money on weddings in this category!
- Formal affairs have a higher cost. If you do want a formal wedding then consider making the guest list smaller.
- Stay away from the busy wedding season. Certain days of the week or times of the year may be cheaper for your venue so be sure to check. If you have your heart set on a specific flower or type of gown then make sure you plan for when it is available. Having items special ordered will cost a small fortune.
- Use a small guest list. Small for you might be 10 people or it might be 200. Making sure only the people who are important to you are at your wedding is a quick way to save money on weddings.
- Use Groupon. Keep an eye on Groupon for your location. I have seen deals for wine, photo booths, and even DJ’s and bands!
Ways to save money on weddings – Flowers
- Stay in season. Use in-season wedding flowers so they do not have to be special ordered.
- Use potted plants. Consider using easy and colorful flowers like marigolds. They may not pop into your head when you are thinking about wedding flowers, but they add a lot of color for a small price tag.
- Share. Find a bride who is having their wedding at the same venue at a different time or the previous/following evening. Split the cost of decorations and use the same items.
- Use fake flowers. Fake wedding flowers have come a long way and can be a great way to save money on weddings, plus you can finish them long before they have to be done.
Ways to save money on weddings – Cake
- Use a Fake Cake. This is a styrofoam cake that is taken to the kitchen to be “cut” (the part you and your spouse cuts will be real so you can get pictures). The cake that comes back out is sheet cake.
- Serve the guests a sheet cake or just use a desert table. If a cake is not important to you then why spend the money on it! Taking out non-priority items is another one of the best ways to save money on weddings!
- Use cupcakes. This is a much cheaper wedding trend!
Ways to save money on weddings – Paper
- Purchase your invitations online! This is almost always the cheapest way to purchase budget wedding invitations.
More Articles on Ways to Save Money on weddings: