If you are looking to save money (and time) on your wedding day then applying your own wedding makeup can help. Keep in mind that good makeup will cost you money and may come out about the same as allowing a makeup artist do it. However, you will have the makeup to use later, you will learn some great techniques for “everyday life”, and you will rest easy knowing that you are going to look like… well, you! If you do use a makeup artist then try to see them at least one other time before the wedding so you will find out if their style is your style (blue eyeshadow anyone?!)
Brides magazine recently posted some great foundation steps. Combine that with a few tips and your skin will look great on your wedding day!
- WEDDING FOUNDATION STEP ONE: Apply eye cream and a moisturizer, wait 5 minutes, then apply a primer.
- TIP: if your skin is oily then use a moisturizer for oily skin or none at all. You do not want your foundation to slide off your face during the ceremony.
- TIP 2: you can find some good foundation primers as low as $5.
- WEDDING FOUNDATION STEP TWO: Using a firm brush, apply concealer around your eyes and inside the creases by your nose. Use it sparingly and blend well.
- TIP: You can make your nose appear smaller by putting a light concealer line along the top ridge of the nose. Again, use it sparingly and blend it well!
- WEDDING FOUNDATION STEP THREE: Apply liquid foundation with a soft foundation brush. Use a circular motion, go over your eyelids, and blend along the jaw.
- TIP: Mineral foundation is all the rage now, but it does not look as good in pictures. The light from the camera will hit the mineral makeup differently than liquid, making your face appear shiny.
- TIP 2: Brides magazine sent an undercover shopper to buy 3 shades of makeup at a drugstore and try to return 2 of them. She had no problem at CVS or Walgreens, but did not have the same luck at Target. Use these CVS shopping tips or Walgreens shopping tips to get your wedding foundation for free.
- TIP 3: A good makeup brush set is another thing you can pick up at Amazon for cheap (right now you can find a set of 13 brushes for as low as $10 shipped)
- WEDDING FOUNDATION STEP FOUR: Put some foundation on the back of your hand, pat it with a sponge, and tap it onto areas that need more coverage.
- WEDDING FOUNDATION STEP FIVE: To combat shine, use a fluffy brush to sweep a tiny bit of translucent powder all over your face.
- TIP: Keep this in your bridal bag so you can continue to combat shine through the wedding reception.
Practice makes perfect! Give these steps a shot and your skin will look great for your wedding pictures.
This post is inspired by Brides magazine and the foundation steps come from the November issue. If you are looking for a great budget wedding magazine, Brides is it!
- The Best Wedding Waterproof Mascara
- 12 Month Wedding Checklist
- E.L.F. Makeup and Eye Kits $4 Shipped
- 12 Tips on How to Plan a Flexible Budget for your Wedding
- How to Save Money on your Wedding Reception