The Royal Wedding and Kate’s Dress!

April 29, 2011

in Wedding Stories

It was an early morning, but worth it! The Royal Wedding was an amazing affair. The sheer number (and spirit) of people involved was quite a site.

Kate’s Dress was beautiful. It was a classic gown and… it had sleeves! Bridal gowns have been sleeveless for a while now and this might lead us back into the world of sleeves. An informal poll done by The Today Show showed that 74% of respondents liked the dress. Personally I thought it was a very good and traditional choice. Although there was some expectation of something more modern, tradition stands the test of time and that is even more important for a future queen.

Details of the Gown and Accessories were released by Clarence House seconds after Kate stepped out of the car. “Miss Middleton chose British brand Alexander McQueen for the beauty of its craftsmanship and its respect for traditional workmanship and the technical construction of clothing.  Miss Middleton wished for her dress to combine tradition and modernity with the artistic vision that characterises Alexander McQueen’s work.  Miss Middleton worked closely with Sarah Burton in formulating the design of her dress.”

She wore a beautiful diamond Cartier tiara that was borrowed by the queen. The halo tiara was made by Cartier in 1937 and was originally purchased for The Queen Mother who presented it to (then princess) Elizabeth on her 18th birthday. She also wore diamond earrings that were given to her from her family.

One thing that stood out was her Maid of Honor (Kate Middleton’s sister), who wore white. There were many questions on the color choice on twitter. Personally, I thought it looked wonderful! The Royal Wedding did not have any other bridesmaids so the Maid of Honor looked beautiful in the same color of the bride. I do wonder if that will start a new wedding trend.

The photo is from Getty Images.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Bambie ♥ May 1, 2011 at 10:27 am

I watched it also in real time.. I was expecting the dress would also have something long, may it be the veil or the tail. But the dress is simple and yet elegant 🙂

Heidi May 3, 2011 at 2:06 am

It was just so beautiful – and unexpected 🙂

Heidi May 30, 2011 at 6:29 pm

It was more simple than I thought it was going to be too!

Michelle Gee May 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

Beautiful wedding and dress. I didn’t get up early to watch, but I did catch bits and pieces throughout the day (my 6th wedding anniversary). 🙂 I was surprised by the sleeves and the MOH white dress, but they were both beautiful! Loved it!

Heidi May 30, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I was happy about the sleeves – strapless has been the trend for a while now and I’m ready for a change!

Kim, President of Shoeaholics Anonymous May 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I loved Kate’s dress! But I loved her shoes even more (yes, I blogged plenty about them!)

Heidi May 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm

She has a wonderful sense of style

Alexis of NorthOnHarper May 11, 2011 at 2:10 am

My youngest sister (who was 17 when I got married) acted as an adult “flower girl” ….. We had a tiny wedding (18 ppl!!) so she came down the aisle and handed a yellow rose to all the women in attendance. I had her wear white as well. I just thought it was fresh. And it looked better on her than the yellow my 2 bridesmaids wore….

Heidi May 30, 2011 at 6:37 pm

an 18 person wedding sounds wonderful! I really liked the white MoH

Chiminess May 11, 2011 at 11:12 am

I’ve read many post about Kate’s wedding dress. And it’s so pretty, i thought it will be a modern wedding dress. She’s really an educated woman, she deserves to be the Duchess of Wales <3

Heidi May 30, 2011 at 6:37 pm

It was a beautiful gown!