Get Married in a Funeral Home

January 21, 2011

in blogging, Financial Future

Methodist Church at Euroa, Victoria, now a fun...

Funeral Home Church

I thought I had heard it all when I wrote the post about getting married at McDonalds, but today that story was topped! The Consumerist reported that some funeral homes are trying to diversify themselves by offering brides and grooms a (cheap) wedding at the funeral home.

“Although people may think it morbid to start a marriage in a place surrounded by sadness, it would be no different than doing it at a church — where both caskets and newlyweds occupy the aisles throughout the year, says Sue Totterdale, national chairwoman of the National Association of Wedding Professionals. “A banquet hall is a banquet hall, and a chapel is a chapel,” she says. “If you can get past the driveway and the cemetery, it’s going to be beautiful.”

Okay, so who is this Sue Totterdale and how did she get the job as the national chairwoman of the National Association of Wedding Professionals! There are many problems with having your wedding in a funeral home, but two of them stick out in my mind.

First, you might creep out your guests. The wedding may be for you, but do you really want to be the couple that had their wedding at the funeral home for the rest of your life? You will be remembered, that is for sure. How many of your wedding guests will spend at least part of the reception wondering if there is an embalming going on in the basement?

On that note, do you want to give your wedding guests alcohol in a location where an embalming might be going on?

Second, what if there is a funeral going on in the other room? I don’t know if they thought of that or not, but generally there are multiple rooms in funeral homes so there can be more than one funeral at one time. It would be HORRIBLE to be celebrating your wedding when there is a group mourning a death in the room next to yours.

The picture is of a church that has been turned into a funeral home. Funeral homes can be beautiful, but let’s keep them as funeral homes. If you want a cheap wedding and are looking to save on the reception or wedding location then go with a park.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Holly January 26, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Wow. Now that’s a creative way to save a dime. Yikes! I think it would take a special couple to actually go through with a wedding in a funeral home.

Heidi January 27, 2011 at 12:46 am

I actually got a few hits via search from people googling “can I get married in a funeral home” so I wonder if I am in the majority or minority in the fact that it gives me the creeps!

Barb January 27, 2011 at 10:31 am

Oh…seems a bit creepy and morbid. However, where I’m from, funeral homes tend to be in these gorgeous old houses, so I can see the appeal. And, if someone where going for a Gothic theme or even a Victorian theme (depending on the funeral home), that might be the perfect location!

Heidi January 31, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I’ve seen some beautiful funeral homes, but I don’t think I would get past the fact that their could be dead people in the basement, LOL.

Gina January 30, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I saw that in the news this week and couldn’t believe it! There are so many better ways to save money on a location.

Heidi January 31, 2011 at 11:54 pm

There are many more places I would rather have a wedding!

Bargainist February 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

This might be a good option for the hipster or goth couple, right? And if you’re the type who wants to get married on Halloween, this might be the way to go!

Heidi February 2, 2011 at 1:20 am

It would be a pretty cool Halloween wedding I must admit!

Andrea February 9, 2011 at 3:44 am

Hmm, not sure about this, lol.

Heidi February 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I know, right!

I Thought I Knew Mama February 9, 2011 at 11:07 am

Stumbled you ;-) Here from 31dbbb.

If you want to stumble back: http://www.ithoughtiknewmama.com/2011/02/withoutmybreasts/

Thanks!

Heidi February 10, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Thanks for stopping by :)

Michelle Gee March 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Yep, that creeps me out. Don’t think I could do it or go to the wedding. :)

Heidi March 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I would probably be thinking about ghosts the whole time.

JB March 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I am actually hoping to have my wedding ceremony in a funeral home. The reception will be elsewhere. I hate traditional weddings and want something unique. Most funeral homes are beautiful and besides I love dead people! Seriously though, my family and friends know that I am a bit “different” and if they do not accept me for who I am and are too “creeped out” to attend a wedding in a funeral home then who needs them. Til Death Do Us Part!

Heidi March 17, 2011 at 1:15 am

Good for you :)

Sista Minuten Resor March 27, 2013 at 4:18 am

hi! ;) im at work at the moment, therefore i do not have much time to write… however! I really enjoyed reading the post. It was some excellent stuff. thanks! All the best!

Chris T August 23, 2013 at 6:17 am

Creative yet quite a taboo. I think if you want to have your wedding unique, you could consider trying this one. Just make sure that there’s no people mourning in the other rooms.

Heidi August 23, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Yikes, that would be awful! I would hope the funeral director would make sure that didn’t happen, but it is definitely something you should make sure of.
Heidi recently posted..How to Plan a Memorable Bridal ShowerMy Profile