There are lots of ways to save money on the honeymoon of your dreams. I think every married couple should have an amazing honeymoon. If you can have a cheap honeymoon to the location that you want then that is even better.
Research shows that when people spend money on memories rather than things they are happier. Your wedding is a once in a lifetime memory and that is true for cheap weddings and expensive ones. The honeymoon is often dropped from budget wedding plans, but you can have a cheap honeymoon and still have the time of your life.
When we got married we were trying to decide between Fiji and Hawaii. Ultimately, we chose Hawaii and I have no regrets. Using my skills in budgeting and finding deals we were able to stay in Hawaii (the Big Island) for 7 days, Kauai for 5 days, Oahu for 2 days, and we visited family in Arizona for 4 days. We spent less than $3000.
You can have a cheap honeymoon and it doesn’t have to be to a cheap location.
One of the ways you can save on a cheap honeymoon is by planning. SmartyPig can help you with that. Here is what the SmartyPig website has to say about their site:
SmartyPig makes it easier than ever to experience the personal satisfaction and financial rewards that come from systematically saving for specific purchases. SmartyPig even enhances your savings with cash back savings that make your money go further! Best of all: it’s completely FREE. No fees. No catches. No “buying clubs.” It’s an FDIC-insured savings account — and so much more.
It is a regular savings account, but it comes with rewards.
- You can post a widget that shows how much you have saved for your goal and you have the option of including a link for others to help you. This is a great option for people who want to include a honeymoon fund on their wedding registry.
- When you withdraw your money you have the option of getting a gift card that will give you cash back!
Here is an example as to how much money you can save on your honeymoon using SmartyPig:
- Set up an account at SmartyPig (leave a comment or contact me if you would like a referral code – I have a limited number of them)
- Set up a goal for your honeymoon. One of the gift card options is for a $1000 gift card to Travelocity Vacation.
- OPTIONAL – Put a savings widget on your wedding site and let your friends and family help you save money for your honeymoon
- When you make your $1000 goal cash it out for the Travelocity Vacation gift card. You will get a $50 rebate when you cash out. Plus, you will have all the interest that you earned while you were saving for your honeymoon.
When it comes to having a cheap honeymoon, every little bit counts. An extra 5% can add up fast!
- The Stingier Savings Account (visualeconomics.com)
- The Best Savings Account Rate Gets Worse (bucks.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Wedding Gift Recap: Amazon and Honeymoon Registries (weddingbee.com)
- Do you sell $10 gift cards? Great, I’ll take 50, and I can pay you $490. (ask.metafilter.com)
- Three Stories About Banking (getrichslowly.org)