Weddings are expensive for everybody, the bride, the groom, and even the bridesmaids and groomsmen. When planning a frugal wedding it is easy to stick to your own wedding budget while forgetting about the budget of your attendants. There are some easy ways to help your bridesmaids save money.
Your bridesmaids have a dress to buy, hair, nails, and makeup to do, a bridal shower and bachelorette party to fund, plus a few gifts to purchase. In comparison to your own wedding expenses it may seem small, but it adds up fast. Plus, the bride has total control over their own wedding budget, while a bridesmaid generally has little control over the money they will have to spend. The bride is really the key as to whether bridesmaids can save money or not.
If you can afford it then it is a nice gesture to help your bridesmaids fund part of their own expenses (especially if one of them has financial hardship), but this can also be tricky. You do not want to hurt feelings or incite jealousy between your attendants.
There are better ways to help your bridesmaids out financially. Here are a few ways you can help them stick to a low budget:
- Help your bridesmaids save money by letting them choose their own dress (you can pick a color or style that you like, but leave the actual dress choice up to them).
- Help your bridesmaids save money by letting them choose their own accessories (or omitting them). Matching shoes, scarves, and jewelry can easily double the price of their outfit and are usually items that they cannot use again.
- If you do choose a matching bridesmaid dress try to find a bridesmaid dress that they will be able to use again.
- Purchase an accessory your bridesmaids need (shoes, purse, jewelry) for their attendants gift.
- Help your bridesmaid save money by timing the purchase of the bridesmaids gowns after the holidays. Just after the New Year holiday dresses go on sale, sometimes as much as 70-80% off.
- Give your bridesmaids the option of doing hair, nails, and makeup instead of requiring it. If they can afford it then they might be happy to have it done, but if not then it will help your bridesmaids save money.
- Purchase your bridesmaids dresses at the same time as your wedding gown using these budget wedding gown purchasing tips.
Your bridesmaids will thank you if your budget wedding includes consideration for their own financial situation!
- David’s Bridal Outlet for Budget Gowns (budgetawedding.com)
- Bridesmaids Dresses: An Investment, NOT Money Wasted (chicagonow.com)
- Tips for Wedding Guests on a Budget (mint.com)
- Best of the ‘Bee – A Tale of Two Dresses (weddingbee.com)
- Bridesmaid Dresses Fashion Favourites: Wedding Style, Length, Cut (weddingfashion.suite101.com)