A wedding cake is one of the expenses that is easy to reduce. Here are six ways you can reduce your wedding cake costs:
Use a small Wedding cutting cake, Serve the guests sheet cake
- The wedding cake can be important if you want to cut the cake for pictures and keep the top tier for good luck. That doesn’t mean the wedding cake has to be large enough to serve the entire reception. A small wedding cake can be just beautiful and serve it’s purpose well. Then get sheet cake to actually serve. These are not shown. Keep them in the kitchen and bring them out to the table (the wait staff will do this). This wedding cake tip has the added bonus of usually being better tasting. The actual wedding cake is generally made a few days before and frozen so the super thick frosting can go on smoothly. Beautiful, yes, tasty, no. Sheet cake can be made to whatever flavor you desire (or multiple flavors) and whatever frosting tastes well.
Buy a Wedding Cake from a Grocery Store
- Grocery stores and Wholesale clubs such as Costco make delicious cakes that do not cost much. You can even go organic at a store such as Whole Foods for cheaper than a wedding cake shoppe. Many of these locations have bakers that specialize in the cakes so it will turn out beautiful for less.
Buy a Grooms Cake
- One way to lower wedding cake costs is by purchasing a grooms cake. These are large sheet cakes decorated with the grooms favorite things (think sports, hobbies, etc). They are a hit at the reception and will save you money since the wedding cake is more expensive per slice. One note though, if you buy the grooms cake at a wedding cake shoppe then you will probably spend the same or more on it. You do not need to tell the baker that the grooms cake is really a “grooms” cake!
Use a “Fake” Cake
- If you have your heart set on a huge wedding cake then you can always go the fake route! These cakes are real where it counts (top tier and whatever parts you want to cut/serve), but they are Styrofoam on non-essential areas. Styrofoam is easy to frost and decorate and it can actually be re-used so most decorators will give you a discount. This tip also works if you are wanting a small reception, but have your heart set on a large cake.
Have a Friend or Relative Decorate it for You
- If you have a friend or relative that knows how to decorate cakes then you can always ask them if they would be willing to make you a wedding cake. If it is a simple cake then most would be happy. Offer to pay them for it and give them a thank you gift if they refuse payment. Bring pictures of the wedding cake of your dreams and see what they can do!
Use a Cupcake Wedding Cake
- Cupcakes can be arranged on tiers so that they look beautiful. There are many examples of cupcake cakes in wedding magazines and books so look closely when you are picture hunting. Cupcakes are easier to frost, bake, and serve so a wedding cake made of cupcakes is usually a cheaper option.